Food. That’s all we talk about.
Pinning dinner ideas. Instagram-ing our baking success. Posting our frosty cold brew on Facebook. People love food. We love food. It only seemed fitting that we have amazing food at our wedding party.
The theme was southern so our menu included pulled pork sandwiches, mac and cheese, hush puppies, banana pudding cupcakes, and sweet tea (sangria). We knew we had done well when one of our guests woke up talking about/ wanting his wife to make the pulled pork. I hope you enjoy making these recipes as much as we did. They don’t disappoint.
Pulled Pork Sandwich by Esquire
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tbsp kosher or coarse salt
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp dry mustard (found in spice section)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 boneless pork butt, about 3 pounds
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup water
1 package plain soft white rolls or other bread
Mix brown sugar and dry spices together in a small bowl. Rub all over pork, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator for as long as you have time for (as little as 1 hour or up to overnight). Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lay pork on a rack insert fitted inside a roasting pan. (The rack should be high enough so the entire spiced butt is sitting above the cooking liquid.) Pour in apple juice and water, cover pan tightly with foil, and slow roast for 5 hours. Remove foil and cook for another 30 minutes, until pork is brown outside and meat is very tender, basically falling apart.
Remove from oven, transfer to large platter, and allow meat to rest for about 10 minutes. While still warm, shred pork into small pieces using 2 forks or 10 fingers. Transfer to bowl for serving, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, just transfer to shallow baking dish, bring to room temperature, and place in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Serve on potato rolls
Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese by Shugary Sweets
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 Tbsp butter
2 1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup flour (I used less)
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard (I used regular mustard)
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat.
Add skim milk and bring to near boiling.
Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling.
Slowly add cream, while whisking.
Add in salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
Add shredded cheese to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13×9 dish.
Top with crumbled bacon.
Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.ENJOY!
Banana Pudding Cupcakes by The Baking Robot
Vanilla Wafer Cupcakes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup coarsely crushed vanilla wafers
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in half of this flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix in milk, and then add the remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in crushed vanilla wafers.
4. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Banana Pudding Frosting
1 cup milk
1 box (3.4 oz) instant banana pudding
8 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and instant pudding. Set aside and let the pudding set.
2. In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and Cool Whip. Stir in pudding.
3. To assemble: spread a thin layer of frosting on a cupcake. Top with a vanilla wafer, then cover again with another layer of frosting. Repeat once more until you have two layers of vanilla wafers, both frosted. Top with one more vanilla wafer.
Note: this frosting must be kept refrigerated, even after you’ve frosted the cupcakes.